In this guide I describe the 22 best campervan accessories to make your van life a more enjoyable experience.
We’ve been living full time in our van for two years and over that time have gained a pretty good idea of what camper accessories make van life a more comfy experience.
It probably goes without saying the things that make the biggest difference to our van lives are serious modifications such as a shower, fridge, cooker, toilet, hot water system, heater, awning and solar energy system.
But for the purposes of this list I’m talking about the little things in life that make a big difference. Accessories that help save on space, time and energy, allowing you to make the most out of exploring the great outdoors.
So, let’s jump straight into it!
Disclaimer: Some links in this article are affiliate links, which means that if you purchase through them I receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you. This helps cover the cost of running this blog. Thanks for your support!
The 22 Best Accessories For Campervans
If you want a good night’s sleep, your van needs to be level. If you are forced to park on a slope, you end up tossing and turning all night, unable to get comfortable. However, with levellers this doesn’t need to be an issue at all and this makes them a top camper accessory.
Just find a place where you want to park and then use the levelling chocks to make sure your van is level. Less time is wasted analysing the flattest spot in the field and more time is spent on good quality sleep.
To help us determine if we’re actually level rather than relying on how the van looks, we use this cute magnetic mini spirit level. Attach it to a long stick for best results.
- Sturdy design
- Handy carry bag
- Suitable for caravans and motorhomes
- Fit type: Universal
2. Fire Extinguishers
Fire extinguishers aren’t really an accessory, more of a campervan essential. If like us, you have a cooker in your campervan, a fire extinguisher should be readily available in case of emergency.
Powder fire extinguishers are the most suitable for kitchen based fires and are therefore the best option for your van.
- CAR FIRE EXTINGUISHER.
- CE MARKED.
- 1 KG ABC DRY POWDER FIRE EXTINGUISHER
- COMES WITH BRACKET
- CAN ALSO BE USED IN KITCHENS GARAGES OFFICES HOMES ETC MULTIPURPOSE
3. Insulated Blinds
Insulated blinds have multiple functions which is always a winner when it comes to the best accessories for campervans.
Firstly they block out light allowing a decent night’s sleep. In the peak of a UK summer the sun rises at 3-4am so keeping the van dark for a few more hours allows us to get some quality sleep.
Secondly, the blinds provide privacy from prying eyes and thirdly they provide insulation, keeping heat in on cold days and keeping heat out on sunny days. Make sure you order the correct ones specific to your vehicle.
- Compatibility: Windscreen Cover Compatible with VW T6 or T6 California 2016 2017…
- All Season Protection: winter insulation and summer heat reflection, Silver side…
- Premium Material: The Front Window Sunshade is made of Multi-layer durable…
- Fitted Quickly & Easy Storage: Recessed eyelets are used to easily attach the…
- 3 Piece Set Window Front Screen Cover: 1 Front Window Sunshade and 2 Side Window…
4. MPPT Charge Controller
Ok, so I know a charge controller is linked to the solar energy system, which at the beginning I stated was a big modification, however I want to emphasise the importance of a GOOD charge controller.
Having initially cut costs through buying an imitation PWM charge controller I can safely say, spend the money and get a real MPPT! A high quality charge controller with a smart charging algorithm will be up to 30% more efficient, making it an awesome van conversion accessory.
You’ll definitely be grateful for this if you plan to spend a lot of time living off-grid.
One of the biggest energy demands, if you plan to live off-grid, will be your campervan fridge. Learn more about choosing the best campervan fridge for you in this ultimate guide.
- Are you ready to take your solar energy game to the next level?…
- With the latest and fastest technology, this charge controller…
- Thanks to the Victron Energy MPPT technology, every single drop…
- Connectivity – with the built-in Bluetooth feature, you can…
- Easily program the charger for your battery type using ‘presets’…
5. Water Filling Caps
This is without doubt one of the best modifications we’ve made to our van.
Our van came fitted with two fifty litre water tanks – one hot water, one cold water. These plastic water tanks are fitted underneath our bed/seating area. This meant to refill the water tanks we had to remove the bed boards and cushions and feed a hose pipe through the back doors and into the top of the tank.
After one fill, we quickly realised we would get very frustrated with this!
So Nick drilled two holes in either side of the van and attached caravan water filler caps (which look just like petrol caps). He attached a hose from the water cap which then fed into the tank via a tank connector.
Since then, to fill our water tanks we simply open the water filling cap, pop in the hose and wait for it to fill. Easy!
- ★ RV accessories gravity water inlet with lock water inlet car with water cover.
- ★ Injection molded from food grade plastic PP.
- ★ The lock cover is designed with spring and sealing ring to prevent leakage and loosening.
- ★ 75 degree water inlet design, more convenient to enter the water, no spill.
- ★ Designed with venting holes to prevent water spray when water is added.
6. Spice Rack
We both love food and our go-to one pot dish is usually a curry of some description. Therefore spices are a must in our van. Our selection of spice containers quickly filled our limited cupboard space, so we needed a better space- saving solution.
I spotted these magnetic spice racks decided to give them a go. I wasn’t sure if the magnets would be strong enough for driving but after putting them through their paces I can safely say the magnets hold firm. We quickly bought a second rack and installed it in prime position above the cooker.
These magnetic spice racks are a real cool camper accessory!
- Practical: With the magnetic spice rack, you can sort and organize your most important kitchen spices. With a size of 43 cm, the wall shelf saves space
- Easy to assemble: The metal spice rack can be mounted on the kitchen wall with the included mounting material or magnetically attached to a refrigerator or metal surface
- Space-saving: With 6 elegant magnetic spice jars, you can tidy up your kitchen The transparent lids make it easy to distinguish and 2 openings for sprinkling or pouring
7. Fairy Lights
Fairy lights are probably a bit of a van life cliche but if it’s not broke, don’t fix it. The LED lights in our van are bright and efficient but they don’t create a nice ambiance. Our fairy lights provide a much softer light for the evenings.
Fairy lights are cheap and easy to fix almost anywhere in your van. These fairy lights are attached to copper wire which makes them easy to bend into any shape, they’re waterproof and they have different lighting modes varying from soft and steady to party twinkles!
- 12m Warm White USB Plug in Christmas Lights(Adapter excluded): Using remote to…
- Handy Wireless Remote: 8 lighting modes and 10 brightness levels to create ideal…
- USB Plug-in String Lights: easily plug in with USB port or power bank, release…
- Flexibility and IP44 waterproof: 2 strands into 1 strand, make it more flexible…
- Reliable Brand: Homestarry USB plug in led fairy lights come with Hassle-Free…
8. Comfy Camping Chairs
Van life works best when the sun is shining and time can be spent outdoors. Comfortable outdoor chairs are therefore a campervan essential.
Having spent seven years travelling the world in overland trucks which are kitted with robust but uncomfortable stools, having something comfortable to relax in has been a game changer!
There are cheap foldable camping chairs which do the trick but I would suggest spending a little more and getting ones that are properly made. They’re much more comfortable than the real budget chairs and are a better investment since they last longer.
- 【Oversized Folding Camping Chairs for Adults】Thanks to the large size and…
- 【Comfy & Heavy Duty Folding Garden Chair】 Loadable up to 150KG, Padded…
- 【Multi-Function Design】Thick foam padded cup holder allows you to enjoy cold…
- 【Wide Use】These portable fold up chair stool are ideal for deck, camping,…
- 【1-year Warranty】Once you purchase EVER ADVANCED Camping Chair for heavy…
9. Stackable Cooking Pots
Space is a premium in campervans, so items that can pack away into confined areas are well worth investing in. There are lots of great camper kitchen accessories out there, but our pots and pans fit snuggly into one another, making them easy to store without taking up too much space.
Teflon pots and pans may be more expensive but the non-stick actually stays non-stick, which makes the chore of washing-up a much more pleasant experience. We have these in our van plus lids to go with them
- Save space: Simplify your cooking with Tefal Ingenio Unlimited, the cookware with removable handle. Thanks to the handle, Ingenio is perfectly stackable for up to 50 percent space saving*.
- Stay secure: The iconic Ingenio handle is 100 percent safe, with a three-point system to keep it secure. It’s reinforced to carry up to 10kg** and guaranteed for 10 years***.
- Be versatile: Much more than a pan, Ingenio goes from the hob and into the oven. Carry it by the handle to the table and it’s a serving dish. Then pop on the lid to store leftovers in the…
- Last longer: Designed for intensive use, Ingenio Unlimited has our 6 x stronger***** Titanium anti-scratch non-stick coating. It’s 100 percent toxin-free****** and easy to clean, by hand or in the…
It’s all too easy to trample mud into your campervan as you move from outside to inside, so one simple rule is to have a no-shoe policy in the van. In the summer months this is an easy rule to follow however in the winter months cold flooring makes it quite uncomfortable, especially if you’re in the UK like we’ve been.
We have insulation underneath our flooring and we have rugs over the top but even with this, the floor can be very cold. Warm slippers may seem a bit middle-aged but they are the perfect campervan accessory to combat cold floors in winter.
- HIGH-DENSITY MEMORY FOAM INSOLE: The stylish comfy home slipper is lined with high-density memory…
- STYLES & COLOR OPTIONS: Available in black grey blue pink and wine perfect for women from all ages…
- WARM FLEECE LINING: It is convenient slip-on design slippers, along with comfort man-made plush…
- IN ADDITION: Convenient to care – machine washable & constructed with wool-like plush upper and high…
11. Pressure Cooker
Pressure cookers are awesome! I first discovered the joys of pressure cookers when cooking food at altitude. At altitude, cooking times can easily double, so this is where pressure cookers make a huge difference.
However, even if you don’t plan to travel to far flung, high-altitude destinations in your van, pressure cookers will still make a big difference to your cooking times. 70% less time in fact.
Less time cooking means more time exploring the great outdoors, so do yourself a favour and add this to your campervan equipment list!
- HEALTHY EATING: The pressure cooker locks in more vitamins and nutrients than traditional cooking techniques while retaining rich flavours and succulent textures
- LARGE CAPACITY: A 4 litre capacity provides the perfect amount of portions for a whole family
- RAPID RESULTS: The bonded steel base provides a quicker cook while using even heat distribution for flavoursome results
- ENERGY-EFFICIENT: Ability to cook food faster than traditional methods allows you to save on your energy bill
- PRESSURE INDICATOR: Uses a visual indicator valve which raises to let you know once the pressure setting has been reached
12. Power Inverter
Most gadgets these days can be easily charged from USB ports but there are some things that require a bit more oomph! The biggest gadgets for me that require more power are my laptop and my drone. This is where I need an inverter to change 12V DC power to 230V AC power.
So if you have gadgets that require AC power, an inverter is an essential van accessory.
There is a big energy loss when converting power from DC to AC, so just be aware of this when calculating how much power you need for your solar energy system. For a complete guide to choosing an inverter for your van, see this article.
- 【POWERFUL DC-AC】1000W continuous, 2000W peak surge during load start-up, 12V to 120VAC pure sine…
- 【SAFE FOR USE】LED indicators for under-voltage and over-voltage protection, over-temperature…
- 【PROTECT YOUR ELECTRONICS】Advanced pure sine wave technology provides quality AC equivalent to…
- 【EASY-TO-USE】 Offers 1 AC Outlets and 1 AC Terminal Block, along with two 3Ft 4AWG Cables and a…
- 【RELIABLE QUALITY】ETL certification listed. Offers 1-Year material and workmanship warranty….
One of the joys of van life is the amount of time you can dedicate to relaxing hobbies such as reading. At home it’s all too easy to sit in front of a TV or computer for hours on end, however this isn’t as much of an option with van life.
I love getting stuck into a good book but with limited space in our campervan, a Kindle makes so much more sense. Battery lives on Kindles are extremely good, much better than an iPad for example, making them energy friendly too.
There are lots of free or cheap books available to purchase through Amazon or if you’re a real book worm Kindle Unlimited is a great option.
- Get more with Signature Edition: everything in the Kindle Paperwhite, plus wireless charging, auto-adjusting front light and 32 GB storage.
- Purpose-built for reading: with a flush-front design and 300 ppi glare-free display that reads like real paper, even in bright sunlight.
- More reading time: a single charge via USB-C or compatible Qi wireless charger (sold separately) now lasts up to 10 weeks.
- Adjustable screen: now with adjustable warm light and auto-adjusting front light for a personalised reading experience, day and night.
- More books in more places: with 32 GB store thousands of books, magazines or audiobooks, and take your library with you.
I guess most people will include a coffee press of some description in their ultimate campervan accessory list, however I’m more of a tea girl.
So for me, a kettle is a must.
Electric kettles use a lot of energy so stick to good old fashioned stove kettles. Our whistling kettle has a handle which folds to one side making it easier to store.
- This stylish whistling stove top kettle will look good on your kitchen hob
- It has a high-grade stainless steel body and an encapsulated base for even heat distribution
- It’s also suitable for all hob types
- Easy push lever to open / close spout
- Durable finish & whistling function
15. Water Containers
Again this is a must-have accessory, rather than an option for your van if you are producing grey water.
Campervaners who let their grey water drain directly onto the ground give the rest of us a bad rap. So do the right thing and dispose of your grey water correctly by collecting it in a camper-friendly container.
These camper friendly water containers have caps on the side for collecting and caps on top for draining.
- 23 litre caravan/motorhome water or waste carrier
- Can lie upright or on its side under your vehicle
- Aperture has 50mm opening for quick filling or emptying
- Weighs in at just under 1 kg
- (L)380 x (W)330 x (H)420 mm
16. Inflatable Kayak
Indulgent? Maybe. Tons of fun? Definitely!
We have a two person inflatable kayak that packs down to a reasonable size. If you’re struggling for space it might not be an option for your van, but if you do have room it’s definitely an incredibly fun campervan accessory to have. We’ve had great times exploring the coasts as well as inland lakes and reservoirs.
If you’re not a fan of kayaks you could also go for an inflatable paddle board, although these are much more expensive.
- Comfortable and handy
- Made from durable material and robust
- High quality: Intex certified
- Easy inflation and deflation thanks to its 2in1 valves
- Note: Manufacturer’s suggestion – choose a cool, dry place and make sure the boat is clean and dry before storing
Cozy blankets come in handy as extra layers for cold nights in the van but also to take the chill out of cooler nights around the campfire. I love getting wrapped up in my blanket and it also acts as a pretty bed throw.
- Reversible Softness: Designed with 220 GSM velvety flannel on the top and 260…
- Thick & Warm: The Bedsure Sherpa Fleece Blanket maintains the ideal balance…
- Versatile: This double blanket is the perfect accessory for your family and…
- Giftable: Available in multiple sizes and colors, this Sherpa blanket also comes…
- Enhanced Durability: Made with unmatched quality, this soft blanket features…
18. Fabric Storage Boxes
Fabric storage boxes can squeeze into odd shaped compartments, they collapse down to flat when not being used and are portable.
These unique factors make them really useful accessories for campervans and if I designed my van again, I’d definitely include more of them.
- TRIED-AND-TRUE QUALITY: The organizer bins are 3 times longer life-span than cheap bins.This storage…
- MULTIPLE COLORS AND SIZES：3 colors are available, Grey, White, White/Grey; 2 sizes are available;…
- DRAWSTRING & HANDLES DESIGN: Drawstring closure with locking to keep dust out; Strong reinforced…
- STAND OR FOLD: Set the box up in no time to create extra storage space and fit it anywhere you want,…
- WARM NOTE & WARRANTY: The storage basket comes with compression packing which may result in crumpled…
When the option is there to put up a hammock, I’ll jump at the opportunity. There’s no better way to spend a couple of hours than kicking back in a hammock with a good book. My hammock is a double nest which means there’s even room for Nick to fit in with me….just about!
A good hammock is a great accessory to your campervan life. Be sure to get a hammock with robust straps and carabiners needed to hang it from suitable trees!
- 🌴DOUBLE HAMMOCK WITH TREE STRAPS: All gears are in one bag. Come with everything you need:…
- 🌴STRONG, COMPACT AND LIGHTWEIGHT: Made from high tenacity and breathable 210T parachute nylon…
- 🌴ADJUSTABLE HEAVY DUTY TREE STRAPS: Constructed from 1000D high density polyester webbing,…
- 🌴EASY INSTALLATION AND MULTIPLE USES: There is everything you need for quick hanging setup….
20. Portable Wifi Device
One of the great things about exploring in our campervan is getting away from it all and escaping the constantly connected world we live in. However, if you work online and your income is reliant on a good internet connection then a portable WIFI device is a sound investment.
Using a SIM card connected to any service provider, a portable WIFI device will allow multiple devices to connect to the internet. If you want to stream movies and TV shows abroad, don’t forget to use a VPN. We use Surfshark because it’s the best value VPN and allows use on unlimited devices. This means we can watch Prime Videos or Netflix on any device, where ever we are.
I use this Huawei mobile hotspot and it works well, even when there is poor signal on my mobile phone.
- Travel The world with Huawei’s super-fast 4G mobile Wi-Fi a pocket-sized solution to low-cost travel Wi-Fi
- Parental Control and guest network – A simplified system to help you ensure online safety on all connected devices and disconnect any device at the touch of a button
- Powerful, Rechargeable battery with 6 hours working time so you can stay connected for longer
- Produce a Wi-Fi hotspot, connecting up to 16 devices including your phone, laptop, tablet, gaming consoles and more
- Comes with a free SMARTY SIM, so you can start enjoying internet on the go!
21. Dutch Oven
If, like us, you love to cook over the open fire, then a Dutch oven is a must. We don’t have an oven in our van so do most of our cooking on the hob. However, whenever the opportunity arrises to cook over the fire we break out the Dutch oven and get creative with our cooking!
Dutch ovens are pots typically made of cast iron with a tight fitting lid. They can be used to roast joints of meat, make stews and curries or even bake cakes.
- Well Known as a Lifetime Pot. The size of the Dutch oven is 5.7L/6 Quart (Pot body + pot lid), make it more…
- All-round Dutch oven. The integral legs on both pot and lid allows the oven sit perfectly over the campfire,…
- Energy-saving and Environmental Protection. Heat is evenly distributed and held, making it great for deep…
- Intimate Lid Lifter. Considering the great weight of cast iron, Overmont equips a lid lifter for each of the…
22. Lego Campervan
So not strictly an accessory, for those lego fans amongst us this would be a lot of fun to build and a fond reminder of fun times on the road. Would make a great gift too for Lego mad Van lifers children (and adults!)
- Build the classic 1962 camper toy van packed with authentic features! Includes “V” shaped color split
- “splittie” safari windshield
- pop-up roof
- textile curtains
- “boxer” engine
Final Thoughts on Campervan Accessories
And that completes my list of must-have campervan equipment. This isn’t an exhaustive list but it certainly contains all the things we wouldn’t want to live without. Do you have anything that you would add to this list?